The Bookmarking Tool will allow you to create a complete index of your source documents for your 1040 workpapers.
- Locate the “Bookmark Options” dropdown icon under TTC Tools
- Use Bookmark Templates: Launches the “Add Bookmarks” window
- Expand All Bookmarks: Expands all bookmarks in the file
- Collapse All Bookmarks: Collapses all bookmarks in the file
- Bookmark Inserted Pages: Manage page insertions and their related bookmarks through a single operation.
“Append PDF Pages as a single bookmarks”
"Append PDF pages without bookmark"
IMPORTANT: If you select the option “Append PDF Pages without a bookmark” or “Append to the highlighted bookmark” and the highlighted bookmark has multiple pages (i.e. you only bookmarked the first page of a multi‐page document), the page will be inserted as the 2nd page in the document set. We are working to resolve this with our new Bookmarking code.
Add Bookmarks Window
- Select “Use Bookmark Templates” from drop down menu
- The “Add Bookmarks” window/control panel will open (re-size window to make it larger or move this window around the screen or to another monitor for ease of use)
- Toggle Bookmark Pane: clicking this button allows user to hide or display the bookmark pane in Adobe Acrobat.
- Delete All Bookmarks: Allows user to delete all bookmarks already existing in the PDF file. If you choose to do this a confirmation window will open, click “Yes”.
- Select a Template
- Click drop down menu and select a bookmark template. (1040 Templates; 1040‐ Default TTC is highly recommended and widely used)
IMPORTANT: The other 1040 templates are designed to work with OCR technology from various tax software providers and scan programs (GruntWorx, Lacerte and ProSystem). These templates are provided by the respective service providers and we take no responsibility as to their accuracy or ease of use.
- Build Your Own Template: Customize any of the templates or create custom template by clicking the link “Build Your Own Template”.
- Applying Bookmarks: Below is shown using 1040 source documents and “1040‐ Default TTC” template
- Highlight desired template from the dropdown menu
- Click “Set Template”.
- The tree structure will display in the template window.
- Place mouse curser into the tree structure and highlight the branch you wish to start on
- Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate through the tree structure
- Use right and left arrow keys to expand and retract the categories
- Select and expand “Income”
- Expand “Wages, Salaries, Tips, Etc.” Category until you get to “<description>”
- Highlight “<description>” in the tree structure
- This expands the bookmark text box below allowing you to type a description of the page you are bookmarking (example, change <description> to Angelica)
- Once the bookmark is named, click “Set Bookmark”. This will assign the bookmark to that page replicating the index and the tree structure in the “Add Bookmarks” window to match the Bookmark Panel
- After the bookmark is set you will be automatically moved to page two of the source documents. Continue progressing through the source documents to bookmark remaining pages
- Bookmarking a Multi‐Page Document:
- Select the category in the tree structure that the multi‐page document will fall under
- Expand the tree until you get to the “<description>”
IMPORTANT: You only need to bookmark the first page of any multi‐page document.
- Bookmark the first page of multi‐page document by changing the “<description>” (example, change <description> to Merrill Lynch)
- Select "Set Bookmark"
- Select “Next Page” to the end of the multi-page document or next desired page for bookmarking
- When finished bookmarking, move to the next category
- Expand the tree until you again get to the “<description>”
- Bookmark by changing “<description>” (example, change <description> to Service Credit Union)
- Select “Set Bookmark”
- By clicking “Set Bookmark”, all the pages in the multi‐page document that were skipped by selecting “Next Page”, will be associated with the single bookmark applied
- Separator Pages: If your firm uses “Separator Pages” and you want to include them in PDF, be sure to include a <description> for each in order for repagination to work correctly.
- Completion of Bookmarking
- Once all bookmarks have been applied to all pages in your source document select “Close”
IMPORTANT: If you need further assistance Please Submit a Ticket